This is a blog about me and the things that make me laugh, smile, hurt or cry!

Friday, August 27, 2010

25+ Random Things You May Not Have Known About Me

1. I have always wanted to learn Kick-boxing as a way of indulging my inner Charlie’s Angel. We all have one.

2. The first album I ever bought was Step By Step by New Kids on the Block on cassette tape. It was £5 from a friend who probably doesn’t even remember

3. Similarly, when I was much younger, my secret fantasy (if I wasn’t Masuka) was to spend a summer working in the Coyote Ugly bar. Weird, but true.

4. One day, I would like to own a Hattori Hanzo Samurai Katana sword (think Kill Bill vol.1)

5. Between Coke, Sprite and Fanta, I choose to Obey My Thirst.

6. I’ve been robbed so many times I think I have become less attached to material things. My favourite thing (and first major item) that was stolen was my electric frying pan – taken from my room at the University of Zambia. The thief stole it complete with the chicken stew I had prepared earlier. My friend came to console me by praying for God’s comfort after the loss of the frying pan. It was both hilarious and touchingly sweet that he did that – which is why I remember it so well.

7. I am a major procrastinator, as evidenced by the fact that I first received one of these over 18 months ago. But, sitting in the hair salon last weekend and bored with mobile Solitaire and Sudoku, I ended up navigating the depths of Facebook mobile and ended up in the friends’ notes section; which reminded me that I needed to do my 25 Random Things About Me at last.

8. I have a lot of talk time. According to a colleague, this means I really take long to explain things and use ten words instead of five, and repeat myself. I have joined Toastmasters in an attempt to fix this problem.

9. Last year for my 30th birthday, I asked people to give me airtime for my mobile phone if they couldn’t think of a present to buy me. I received about K800, 000 (just over $150) worth of units and didn’t have to top up for several months.

10. I have been told that my marketing skills are so persuasive and I can be so convincing that I can sell a corpse. With great power, comes great responsibility.

11. When I watched Superman Returns in the cinema, I was overcome with a sense of joy and hope when we first see Superman in his suit, holding up the plane on the baseball field. I felt goofy happy and had a ridiculous smile because it seemed that the world was alright again.

12. Superman is cool because he is the only superhero whose natural self is actually a superhero. However, my favourite superhero is Batman: he knows who he is and he is just sad because his mummy and daddy died. It also helps that Bruce Wayne is rich. I can’t stand the whining whingeing wimp that is Peter Parker. Suck It Up and get a life dude.

13. The first big item I bought when I moved into my own place after graduating from campus was a four-plate cooker/oven. I couldn’t handle life without an oven and baking any longer. It took me another four years to purchase my first TV.

14. Being a preacher's daughter, I have always been sure I would not want to be a preacher's wife. The call is not for everyone. I'll settle for being bamuka elder (Church elder's wife).

15. I am a devoted follower of isohunt.com which succeeded Mininova and The Pirate Bay as my favourite torrent search index. That said I own about three times more original DVDs than anyone I know. I am addicted to boxed sets and special/limited/extended editions of my favourite TV shows and movies. I aim to complete my Only Fools and Horses collection soon and have pre-ordered The Goonies 25th Anniversary Edition. My all time favourite set is my Lord of the Rings Special Extended Edition.

16. I collect children’s books. Why? Because I worry that my favourite books may be out of print when I have kids and I won’t be able to share this experience with them. My favourite books from childhood were The Silver Sword by Ian Serralier; The Magic Far Away Tree by Enid Blyton; Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Superfudge, both by Judy Blume.

17. I love watching sports. I started following football as a result of watching World Cup Italia 90. I developed a crush on then England captain, Bryan Robson and pledged undying support to whichever team he played for. I have been (and remain) a proud supporter of Manchester United Football Club ever since. My other favourite sports to watch are Athletics, Tennis and gymnastics. I love the Olympics for their diversity of sporting disciplines.

18. My Dad was a very good amateur boxer and my mother almost joined the army after impressing her superiors in national service. She resisted the recruiters and became a teacher instead.

19. All the men in my family can cook and bake very well. My Dad’s specialty is pumpkin cake and sweet potato cake. One of my brothers nails pancakes like no one else. My other brother makes the best cheesecake I have EVER tasted and hammers chocolate cake. My sister does the best marble cakes and I dream of Mum’s coconut cake. I can do mean banana bread/muffins and any kind of savoury pie.

20. My four grandparents were born and raised in what is now called Angola. These artificial borders were set up by the English to divide us, we are all one inside.

21. Growing up as a teenager, my dream man was Keanu Reeves, closely followed by Brad Pitt. For the last few years though, the man that does it for me is Morris Chestnut. He's not the best actor in the world (IMHO), but at least he looks good while doing it.

22. I will watch any movie with Clare Danes in it. I don’t know why, but I really like her as an actress. I also lean heavily toward European and independent or foreign films (with subtitles). I believe an English voice over renders the movie irrelevant. City of God, directed by Fernando Mereilles is one of my favourites.

23. Persistent insomnia is my subconscious telling me I am anxious about something.

24. For security reasons, most of my passwords are not in English. My sister used to be the person most likely to get closest to deciphering any of them.

25. I cry at anything that moves me emotionally – be it anger, frustration, excitement, sorrow, in real life, in books, in movies or in music.

26. I only do Nokia phones.

27. I love dance movies and dance shows like So You Think You Can Dance. Not interested in the acting, just the dance moves. I would love to do the closing scene/credits dance routine from the movie Save the Last Dance at my wedding. My fingers are crossed for a man who can pull this off.

28. Spelling is one of my pet peeves and I have been known to delete/remove my posts or comments on the internet that have major typos or spelling mistakes in them. My most recent one, ‘right’ instead of ‘write’. Oh, the horror!

29. All the jobs I have had have been those that make a difference in people’s lives. Eventually, I would like to teach my own courses at University.

30. I dislike people who beat about the bush and won’t say what they mean or confront you to your face.

31. My name is Masuka M. and I am addicted to the internet. This is the first step in the 12-step recovery programme -- admitting that you have a problem


Modified on Sunday, 20th May 2012

.

No comments: