This is a blog about me and the things that make me laugh, smile, hurt or cry!

Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Competent Communicator

In the year of our Lord 2010... Lol, just kidding!


Last year, I did about four major things in a five month period (from June to October). One was go to the World Cup. Two was to start this blog. Three was to go on a holiday which I called The Excellent Adventure. Lastly, four was joining Toastmasters in a quest to become a Competent Communicator. 


Most people know Toastmasters to be a public speaking club. This is true, although there is a lot more to it. Toastmasters is an international association that has been around since the 1930s. It began in America. There are thousands of clubs all over the world.

In Lusaka, we meet every 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month from 18:15 to 20hrs. You learn public speaking, communication and leadership skills. The current most famous ex-Toastmaster is Barack Obama.

Membership is about ZMK400,000 annually. You receive a members kit, which includes a communication and leadership manual, plus a monthly magazine. The first manual has ten speaking projects that you must complete in order to be certified a Competent Communicator.

Guests are welcome to attend three Toastmasters meetings for free. Thereafter, you must pay your membership fee in order to keep on attending meetings.

During the meeting, people give prepared speeches and we also have an impromptu speaking session where everyone can participate, guests included.


Since August, I have learned so much about speaking and communicating. As somebody who is supposed to communicate for a living, Toastmasters has helped me to become more aware of myself and how I communicate. So far, I have completed two of my ten projects. I look forward to becoming a certified Competent Communicator.

No comments: